Hickory Hills Elementary Board and Membership Meeting—January 12, 2015
In Attendance: Lori Chisholm, Dana DeBlanc, Sarah Dorrel, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Lori Enyart, Lisa Hyde, Abby Kleiboeker, Maggie Krogh, Amanda Langsford, Sarah Langston, Sarah Odom, Barb Ray, Beki Rhein, Kristin Rohrer, Emily Russell, Tia Ruth, Jody Schaad, Anna Shcherbyna, Sara Swaim, Hillary West
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:32 PM.
The December 2014 minutes were approved as written.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report:
- Hickory remains second to Sequiota in attendance. Eight discipline incidents have been recorded this year so far.
- Teacher of the year nomination forms are available on the SPS website, and Lori will also add the form to the PTA website.
- Construction began the week before holiday break. They have been working on compaction testing to make sure the ground doesn’t settle before the foundation goes in. They are also working on the electrical. We hope to be in the new addition by August.
- There is now a buzzer system by the front door for visitors to use when entering the building. The system is in use from 8:15 AM -2:30 PM.
- Summer school will be offered this summer at Hickory, and only Hickory students will attend at our school. Summer school will begin June 1 and will run for a month for 5 days a week from 8:50 AM -2:30 PM. Bus service will be available for students that live more than 1 ½ miles out. Breakfast and lunch will be served. Project Based Learning (PBL) will be the curriculum format.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report:
- Greenhouse – PTA helped purchased LED lights for the Greenhouse with a $1,000 donation in December. The lights are about to be installed. Mr. Johnson was very appreciative of our generosity.
- Nominating Committee – 3 individuals need to be nominated for the Nominating Committee in compliance with our bylaws so they can name individuals for officer vacancies for 2015-2016. We need nominations for Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. The Nominating Committee Chairperson’s job will be to bring before the membership the names as a motion at the March meeting to elect officers for next year. The membership offered Sarah Langston, Tamara Scully and Lisa Ebisch as candidates.
Lori Chisholm received a motion to elect Sarah Langston, Tamara Scully and Lisa Ebisch to serve as the Nominating Committee. There was a second and the motion carried.
- Letter Campaign – The letters for the Letter Campaign will go home Thursday with students. Our goal for the Letter Campaign is $3,500. We are working with Mrs. Odom to determine where best to use our funds.
- Spirit Nights – Spirit Day/Night for Wendy’s will be January 27th anytime from 10 AM – 10 PM (inside or drive through). You will need the voucher to get credit. There is an extra to share with friends/family. Culver’s Spirit Night will be February 24th from 5-8pm. PTA is falling behind on these spirit nights and we need parent and teacher support.
- SCPTA Founder’s Day – The banquet will be March 5th at KHS. This year’s HHPTA volunteer of the year that will be recognized at the banquet is Lisa Ebisch.
- PTA Closet – This closet is now located in the hallway leading out to the playground while construction is underway.
Michele Douglas, Treasurer’s Report: Ending balance for December was $21,098.27. Income for December: Scrip – $3094.08 (lots of gift cards sold) and Spirit Night at Chuck E. Cheese – $36.54. We still need to raise $605 in Spirit Nights. Expenses for December: Acquisitions – $135, Chat and Chew Income – $548.59 – still need to pay Barnes and Noble invoice, Holiday Baskets – $490, Teacher Gifts/Holiday Lunch – $151.17 – $94.44 is to be reimbursed by a meal sponsor, Teacher Appreciation – $61.83 and Greenhouse – $1000 for greenhouse lights.
Maggie Krogh, Valentine Party Info: Parties will be Thursday, February 12th at 1:30. Homeroom parents need to contact party volunteers to remind them about the party. It is a wear pink and red spirit day.
Lisa Hyde, Chat and Chew: 5th grade only has 3 kids signed up. All other grades have good participation. 4th grade could use more parent volunteers. 5th grade has no parent volunteers and could use some. Let Lisa know if interested in volunteering.
Hillary West, Box Tops: The next collection will be February 10th. Box Tops will be due from homeroom parents by February 17th. The top 3 classes will be awarded. A check was received from the last collection for $1,197.
Lori Enyart, RIF: Books will be picked up on February 10th for the next distribution. She would like to get them distributed to kids before Spring Break.
Sara Swaim, Spring Fling: Spring Fling is April 10th. She needs lots of volunteers to do small tasks. Please let her know if interested in helping.
Emily Russell – Mr. Johnson in the Greenhouse is in need of volunteers on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8 AM -11 AM.
Lisa Ebisch – She has received a suggestion on the Holiday Food Basket drive to limit the boxes to 2 per family. Some houses to do not have the space for more than 2 boxes, and it can be cumbersome for the volunteers to deliver more than 2 large, heavy boxes per family. Excess food donations could potentially be picked-up by a food pantry.
Lori Chisholm adjourned the meeting at 7:13 PM.