In Attendance: Michelle Benzen, Nicole Bonnarens, Alexis Brown, Lori Chisholm, Sarah Dorrel, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Tonya Fisher, Heather Killian, Abby Kleiboeker, Maggie Krogh, Sarah Langston, Kim Mayer, Sarah Odom, Barb Ray, Emily Russell, Tia Ruth, Lauren Sawyer, Tamara Scully, Amanda Squires, Sara Swaim, Renee Thornton, Hillary West, Russell Winterberg
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:35 PM.
The April 2015 minutes were approved as written.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report –
- Construction Update – The walls are up and the inner walls are going up with some studs and sheetrock. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades will each have a classroom in the new addition. The building should be ready by mid-July.
- No major discipline incidents in April. There are still 16 incidents for the year so far.
- Attendance is at 95.8%.
- She thanked the PTA for the teacher appreciation week details.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report –
- We received a second quote for the risers – $6,600. There was a question about where to store the risers, which they could possibly be stored on the stage. Mrs. Lee has placed a call to the SPS Purchasing Agent to inquire about getting a better price on the first quote. Due to the timing of this potential purchase with too many unknowns and the end of the year approaching, the officers have decided to table this purchase or any other large gift purchases until next year.
- Letters were sent to the elementary teachers who had remaining balances on their start-up gift they were given in August. The deadline for purchases was May 1st. This money will not roll over into next year.
- Book Fair Date Change – Due to testing in the library, Book Fair dates have been changed. The new dates are Friday, May 8th from 8:00-3:30 and Monday, May 11th from 8:00-3:30. Help is needed to set-up on Thursday, May 7th after school and Monday, May 11th after school to pack-up. Volunteer shifts are also available during the book fair hours to help students with their book purchases.
- PTA sent two 2015-16 officers, Maggie Krogh and Tia Ruth, to Independence on April 17-18 for the MOPTA Spring Conference.
- Three office secretaries were recognized on Administrative Professionals Day (April 22nd) with thank you notes and gift cards.
Michele Douglas, Treasurer’s Report – Ending Balance for April was $29,165.57. Income included $3,422.54 for Spring Fling for a Spring Fling grand total of $4,484.54 and a $970.40 Box Top check. Expenses included $776.34 in Acquisitions for teacher needs, $708.38 in Hospitality, $330 for Annual Insurance and $253.30 for Teacher Appreciation Gifts.
Tonya Fisher, Field Day – Stone, Wilks and Byrd classes have no volunteers. Range, Gordon and Demel/Price classes could use another volunteer. Food Services needs more volunteers. If there are not enough volunteers then the class volunteers and teacher will serve their own classes in the food line. Volunteers get lunch for free otherwise it is $5 per meal. The schedule for the day is in the works. The schedule and instructions will be sent a week ahead of time. There will be a volunteer meeting the morning of the event to go over details. An email reminder including information on shirt colors for each grade to wear will be sent soon.
Barb Ray, PAC Meeting Report – Dr. Jungmann presented on the identification of root causes of the barriers to attendance. He also presented data on equity in transportation, choice programs (with discussion on ways to increase involvement), technology and a few other equity access issues.
Maggie Krogh, 2015-16 Committee Chair Openings – Reflections and All Pro Dads are still in need of chairpersons.
Maggie Krogh, Spartan Spirit Wear 2015-16 – Please turn in the shirt size forms that were sent home so the correct sizes can be ordered for students. Also, sponsors are needed to support the purchase of the shirts.
New Business –
Maggie Krogh, Spartan Sprint planning has begun. Middle School has agreed to participate. Potential run dates are either the last Friday in September or the first Friday in October. The track field at the Springfield Underground will be the location. There will be a mile fun run and a 5K. A chairperson is needed for this committee.
Sara Swaim and Sarah Dorrel, Spring Fling – Spring Fling was a great event and thanks to all the volunteers.
Lori Chisholm, Recognition of the 2014-15 Executive Team and Committee Chairs – Lori thanked the Executive Team and Committee Chairs for their service this year and presented each with a gift. Maggie Krogh also thanked Lori for her service as President and presented her with a gift and a box of thank you letters from students.
Heather Killian, Installation of Officers for 2015-2016 – Heather installed the following officers for the 2015-2016 school year:
President – Maggie Krogh
Vice-President – Lauren Sawyer
Secretary – Hillary West
Treasurer – Tia Ruth
Lori Chisholm, Passing of the Gavel – Lori passed the gavel to the new president, Maggie Krogh.
Mrs. Odom thanked the outgoing officers (Lori Chisholm, Michele Douglas, and Emily Russell) and presented them with flowers.
Maggie Krogh adjourned the meeting at 7:27 PM.
Emily Russell, PTA Secretary