Hickory Hills Elementary Board and Membership Meeting–October 6, 2014
In Attendance: Abby Biggers, Kami Cardwell, Lori Chisholm, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Lori Enyart, Chris Hughes, Lisa Hyde, Abby Kleiboeker, Maggie Krogh, Stephanie Krueger, Sarah Langston, Kim Mayer, Sarah Odom, Barb Ray, Emily Russell, Tia Ruth, Lauren Sawyer, Jody Schaad, Tamara Scully, Renee Thornton, Hillary West
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:35 PM.
The September 2014 minutes were approved as written.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report: Elementary has had two discipline incidents this year. Our attendance rank moved from 2nd to 3rd among the Glendale feeder schools for this year so far. She shared the School Action Plan (SAP) with a handout that includes the goals for the school to accomplish for the year in the areas of Literacy, Numeracy and Student Engagement.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report:
- Mrs. Odom is investigating the defibrillator request from the last meeting with SPS Health Services. At this point, there is a liability concern.
- Reflections Training – Lori attended and the volunteer position takes a large time commitment that she will not be able to cover due to other leadership commitments. We have no other volunteers for this position so the program will not be promoted at our school this year. Let a board member know if you are interested in leading the program next year.
- Four volunteers helped at the Clothing Bank on our designated day last month.
- The first spirit week during Glendale homecoming week had good participation.
- The first spirit night at Texas Roadhouse was well attended. The next spirit night will be October 21st from 5-8 PM at Culver’s on N. Glenstone. 30 minute teacher shifts are available for sign-up to help work the event (similar to McTeacher night). There will be a classroom participation contest where the students in the winning class will receive a token for custard. The teacher from the winning class will receive a $25 gift card to Culver’s.
- The first Cultural Arts assembly was October 3rd. Doug Cramer from the National Weather Service educated the students on weather issues and safety procedures. Plans for a 2nd Quarter assembly with Miss Missouri 2014 and a 3rd Quarter assembly in fine arts are in the works.
- Open House was a success for PTA. Activity included additional membership enrollments, Sprint registrations, spirit wear sales, and information handed out on Ongoing Fundraising.
- Thank you to Jody Schaad and Barb Ray for attending the first PAC meeting of the year.
- Thank you to Jana Lewis and volunteers for helping Nurse Brown with the Health Fair.
- SCPTA Meeting – The feeder school pattern and principal appreciation were the focus of the meeting. They also learned about the success of the new Choice Schools and how they are functioning. The next SCPTA meeting is on November 1st at Horace Mann. Let Lori know if you are interested in attending. Up to 5 representatives from our school may attend.
- Book Fair will be the week of Parent Teacher Conferences (October 27-30). Volunteers are needed for the event. The loose coin drive will go home in Friday folders. The proceeds will be divided equally among all 16 teachers. Each teacher will award one/two scholarships to students to help them buy a book at the Book Fair. The family event will be Monday from 2:45-7 with a teacher participation contest. The winning teacher will get $100 to spend out of the Scholastic Resource Catalog. Each purchase during the family event will qualify for prize drawings. Grandparents are invited to shop with their grandchildren on Wednesday from 2:30-3:30.
- PTA Survey – A spring survey will be available with the results used for next year’s planning.
- Spartan Sprint – Everyone is encouraged to sign-up. Our goal is to get as much fundraising done through this event so we won’t need to fundraise for the remainder of the year.
Michele Douglas, PTA Treasurer: Ending balance for September is $20,847.03. Income for the month includes a $50 donation from Mid Missouri Bank because an account was opened there. Other income includes $2,252.82 for Spartan Sprint (registrations, sponsorships, expenses), $942.77 from Target RED card and $973.85 for Spirit Wear. The Spirit Wear order has been placed. Expenses include $91.20 for STUCO shirts, $149 for purchases for Nurse Brown and snacks/coffee for the Health Fair, $575.21 for t-shirts for teachers and staff and the open house meal, $65 for a new microwave for the cafeteria, $200 yearly donation to RIF and $1,118.18 in expenses so far in teacher gifts.
Maggie Krogh, Spartan Sprint Report: As of today, 141 people are registered. The trophy for the class participation contest is on display in the hallway case. Packet pick-up is on Friday between noon-6PM at Ridge Runners. Packets can also be picked-up the morning of the race beginning at 8AM at High Street. We can still use volunteers for the event. She encouraged everyone to sign-up to walk or run and support our school. PTA Membership – As of today, we have 186 individual paid members and 49 business members.
Jody Schaad and Barb Ray, Parent Advisory Council Report (PAC): Jody and Barb attended the last PAC meeting. The PAC provides for an open dialog between the school representatives and administration. Dr. Jungmann wanted to get input from the group on how the school system is doing. They broke up into groups to discuss their schools and then they provided input to Dr. Jungmann and the other school officials at the meeting. Items that need improvement and areas that are working well were shared among the group. There is a survey on the SPS website that is available for anyone to fill out to provide feedback to SPS. Email Barb or Jody if you have anything that you would like to them to take to the next meeting to address with the PAC.
Lori Chisholm on behalf of Brandy Hickman, Scrip Update: A sign-up sheet is available to be included in Scrip communication. Inventory is available to purchase.
Hillary West, Box Tops Update: The first Box Tops collection date is October 14th. Box Top counts by Homeroom parents are due October 21st. A flyer for Sam’s bonus Box Tops program is available.
Lisa Ebisch, Middle School PTSA Report: The middle school is collecting old cell phones, chargers, laptops and ink cartridges as a fundraiser. A blue trashcan collection bin is outside the office.
Lisa Ebisch, Charitable Giving Report: The Coats and Jeans Drive is going on now. Friday is the last day to drop off items. Volunteers are needed for the next Clothing Bank day on October 16th.
Lisa Hyde, Chat and Chew: Chat and Chew will run this year from January-March for 2nd-5th grade. There will be 3 books per grade. Volunteers are needed with more than one volunteer per grade requested.
Lori Enyart, RIF: The school distribution for 1st and 2nd grade students will be November 13th. Volunteers are needed for distribution.
Chris Hughes, Counselor, Red Ribbon Week: Red Ribbon Week will be October 20th -24th. This is a drug prevention campaign for K-8. The theme is Career/Future Readiness with a special activity planned for each day.
New Business - None
Lori Chisholm adjourned the meeting at 7:32PM.
Emily Russell, PTA Secretary