In Attendance: Abby Biggers, Cassie Braun, Kami Cardwell, Lori Chisholm, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Brandy Hickman, Lisa Hyde, Melissa Kotowicz, Maggie Krogh, Natalie McRanie, Sarah Odom, Laura Ogden, Barb Ray, Emily Russell, Jody Schaad, Catherine Schmittling, Tamara Scully, Caren Tate, Valerie Wehrenberg.
Sarah Langston, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 1:36 PM.
The April 2014 minutes were approved as written.
Michele Douglas, PTA Treasurer: Ending balance for April was $26,044.26. As of the end of April, Spring Fling brought in $8,600.71. This balance includes enough money to cover the $6,000 PTA donation for the classroom iPads. Expenses for the month included Chat n Chew, Field Trip Deposit, RIF donation and other miscellaneous items purchased.
Lori Chisholm, Book Fair Chairperson: Book Fair Committee bought 6 items from the Scholastic Resource Catalog worth $527.93 of scholastic dollars to benefit Spring Fling. These 6 items were raffled at Spring Fling to help the iPad project. BOGO Book Fair ran May 5th-7th. The goal was to sell 500 books, and according to Scholastic, we surpassed that goal to 725 (based on sales). HH kids brought in $167.21 to buy books for Ronald McDonald House of Springfield. With the BOGO deal, that means several new books for the charity. Scholastic gave us $343.79 in scholastic dollars for holding a BOGO fair, and after purchasing the rest of the books the teachers placed in their bins, Book Fair Committee has an ending balance of $1240.36 in scholastic dollars to carry over into next year. She thanked all the volunteers for their help with two successful Book Fairs this year. The next book fair will be October 27th-30th, the week of Parent-Teacher Conference.
Valerie Wehrenberg, Yearbook Chairperson: Yearbooks are here and they will begin sorting next week. They plan to distribute the last full Friday of the school year.
Lori Chisholm, PTA VP: Committee Chair Openings are as follows:
• Reflections/Cultural Arts
• Spring Fling
• Yearbook Co-Chair
Let Lori know if you or if anyone you know is interested in these positions. She has information about the committees. A meeting for new and old committee chairs will be held directly after this meeting.
Sarah Langston, PTA President: Sarah thanked everyone for their help this year.
Lori Chisholm, PTA VP: 5th grade – May 23rd will be 5th grade graduation. She recognized and thanked all 5th grade parents for their help over the years.
Lori Chisholm, PTA VP: Special Presentation – Lori thanked Sarah, on behalf of PTA, for her work as PTA president this year, and gave her a serving bowl and beach towel as a thank you gift.
Mrs. Cardwell, Principal’s Report:
• She thanked PTA for all their work including Teacher Appreciation last week.
• Kindergarten and 5th grade are getting their pictures taken which is new this year. The pictures will be given to them in a case for their graduation. The plan is to make this an ongoing tradition for these two grades every year.
• The 5th grade promotion ceremony is also new this year. This will also be an ongoing tradition. Kindergarten will start this promotion ceremony next year as well.
• MAP and performance testing are finished.
• The last iPads purchased have been picked up, and they are working on getting them ready for the classrooms next year.
• Class Lists – In years past, the student’s teacher for the next year was listed on the final grade card but this will probably not happen this year. There are 4 teacher positions and 1 library position as of today that need to be filled, therefore, making it unlikely that every student could be placed with a teacher by the end of the school year.
• Construction – Construction bids came in over budget so those have been rejected. It is unknown at this point when construction will be begin/end on the new addition.
Catherine Schmittling – Catherine will stay on the RIF Board, but if you interested in replacing her RIF/Chat n Chew position, please let her know so she can help transition.
Maggie Krogh – Fall Fun Night – PTA is looking at changing up Fall Fun Night this year. We have received feedback that two events with carnival type games are too much. She introduced the idea of a Fun Run (5K/10K) on a Saturday morning in the Fall around the properties near the school. She has investigated the potential for Ozark Ridge Runners to help run the event. If anyone is interested in helping, please let her know as soon as possible as we need to get a date on the calendar soon to reserve help and start marketing the run to the community. The plan is to also have additional kid’s activities as well (bounce house, games, some sort of activity on the track, etc.).
Carrie Windes, Springfield PTA, Installation of Officers: Carrie recognized Sarah Langston, PTA President, and Lori Chisholm, PTA VP, on their service as their terms come to an end. Carrie installed the following HHPTA officers for the 2014-2015 school year:
• Treasurer: Michele Douglas
• Secretary: Emily Russell
• Vice President: Maggie Krogh
• President: Lori Chisholm
Sarah Langston adjourned the meeting at 2:15 PM.