Hickory Hills Elementary Board and Membership Meeting–February 9, 2015
In Attendance: Abby Biggers, Lori Chisholm, Sarah Dorrel, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Tonya Fisher, Tania Gore, Abby Kleiboeker, Maggie Krogh, Sarah Langston, Kayla Nel, Sarah Odom, Barb Ray, Emily Russell, Tia Ruth, Lauren Sawyer, Amanda Squires, Sara Swaim, Renee Thornton, Hillary West, Russ Winterberg
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:32 PM.
The January 2015 minutes were approved as written.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report:
- Hickory Hills remains second to Sequiota in attendance. Ten discipline incidents have been recorded this year so far.
- A 5th grade iPad project video is posted on the Hickory Hills Facebook page to show how the iPads are being used in the classroom and to say thank you to HHPTA and Hickory families.
- Summer School registration for Middle School is Wednesday, Upper Elementary is Thursday, and Lower Elementary is Friday. Kindergartners can register for summer school on Friday because Kindergarten Registration is Thursday. Register as soon as possible.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report:
- Winter Letter Campaign – Please send in donations before the February 28th deadline. We are at $2,500, which is 71% of our $3,500 goal. The 300 Kids Club will run the last week of February. This is an opportunity for 300 kids to give $5 so that we can earn $1,500 towards our goal. The kids will be given a Culver’s custard token in return for the donation. Thank you to Culver’s for the token donations.
- Kindergarten Registration is February 12th from 9-11 am in the Library. Volunteers are needed.
- The SCPTA Reflection’s Showcase was January 18th at the Battlefield Mall. We are in need of a Reflection’s leader so that we can participate in this program. SCPTA provides leadership training and guidance to promote the arts program in our school. Let Lori or Maggie know if interested.
- School Counselor Week was last week. We honored our elementary counselor, Chris Hughes, with a gift card and thank you note. She sent a thank you note to HHPTA.
- Cultural Arts Assembly – Petra Ballet, Springfield will present “You are Special” on February 27th at 8:00am.
- RIF – Lori Enyart picks up books this week and will distribute at the end of February. Volunteers are needed to help with distribution.
- Book Fair Scholastic Dollars were spent to buy one Minecraft book for each student in Mrs. DeGood’s class to celebrate winning the Membership Challenge.
- Clothing Bank – Our next volunteer day is February 19th from 3-5:00pm. Let Lisa Ebisch know if interested in helping.
- Spirit Night – Culver’s on Glenstone (NOT by Target) on February 24th from 5-8:00pm. The class with the highest percentage of kids represented will earn free custard tokens and the teacher will get a gift certificate. No voucher is required but be sure to sign in to get classroom credit.
- The next PTA meeting will be on March 2nd in the Commons. This is an important meeting as we will be electing officers and we need as many people in attendance as possible. This meeting will also feature a mini-music program by the K-1 classes and led by Mrs. Lee.
- HHPTA will host the April 1st Springfield PTA Council meeting. The Hospitality Committee will help with food and tables. Mrs. Loudis’ students will provide a music program, Mrs. Cunningham and her students will provide some table decorations, and some STUCO students will greet our district PTA leaders and principals. Dr. Jungmann is usually in attendance as well. Please come represent HHPTA if you are available.
Michele Douglas, Treasurer’s Report: Ending balance for January was $22,614.07. Income for January: Letter Campaign – $635 – January YTD balance was $1,185 but as of 2/9, the balance is $2,500. A Box Tops check for $1197.04 was received. Expenses for January: No major expenses – purchased $31.37 in supplies for Nurse Brown, $96 in tickets for Founder’s Day where Lisa Ebisch will be honored as Volunteer of the Year, and $56.14 paid towards teacher gift certificates.
Maggie Krogh, Committee Chair Openings for 2015-2016: We have openings in Cultural Arts, Ongoing Fundraising, PAC Rep (need 2), Reflections, RIF, Spirit Nights, and Workroom Coordinator.
Maggie Krogh, Homeroom Parent Report: Valentine’s Parties are this Thursday. Box Tops are due 2/10. Spring Fling – Homeroom parents need to make sure they have signed-up their class for a themed basket and a game in Sign Up Genius via the email that was sent out.
Tia Ruth/Abby Biggers, Final Yearbook Orders: Yearbook orders are due by 2/27. We have 199 orders currently. Reminder that homerooms need to be sure that they get all pictures uploaded; layout work will begin soon. Go to community.lifetouch.com and enter code CTBXZM. Be sure to include the class name on the pictures. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with yearbook inquiries.
Hillary West, Box Tops: Final collection is 2/10. Counted Box Tops need to be turned in by 2/17.
Sara Swaim, Spring Fling (April 10): Marty the Magician will be performing, themed baskets will be in a silent auction, items will be raffled and a pizza dinner from Jet’s Pizza will be served. She needs 20 people to try to get 3 items each donated by businesses for the raffle.
Barb Ray, PAC Meeting Report: The meeting included discussion in focus groups, and Dr. Jungmann discussed his continuing administrative realignment and the major fiscal impacts that upcoming legislation will have on our school system.
Lisa Ebisch, Nominating Committee Report: Lisa Ebisch, on behalf of the Nominating Committee, presented the following the Executive Team Candidates for the 2015-2016 school year:
Maggie Krogh – President
Lauren Sawyer – Vice President
Hillary West – Secretary
Tia Ruth – Treasurer
Please attend the March 2nd PTA meeting to vote on these candidates.
Lisa Ebisch, Middle School Liaison: The middle school PTSA is looking for candidates for Secretary and Vice President. If anyone has a child in middle school or going into middle school next year and is interested in these positions then please let her know.
Lori Chisholm adjourned the meeting at 7:16 PM.