Hickory Hills Elementary Board and Membership Meeting–September 8, 2014
In Attendance: Michelle Benzen, Abby Biggers, Alexis Brown, Lori Chisholm, Heather DeGood, Becca Demel, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Lori Enyart, Gina Fetter, Brandy Hickman, Abby Kleiboeker, Maggie Krogh, Sarah Langston, Sarah Odom, Janet Price, Barb Ray, Kristin Rohrer, Emily Russell, Jody Schaad, Amanda Squires, Renee Thornton, Tia Ruth, Hillary West, Rebekah Williams
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:32 PM.
The August 2014 minutes were approved as written.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report: Attendance data for this year shows that Hickory Hills is 2nd in the Glendale feeder schools. There have been zero discipline incidents this school year at Hickory. MSIP 5 Performance Report Results show Hickory scored 100% in the 2014 portion of last school year. Open House will be Thursday, September 18th from 5:30-7:00 PM.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report: This week is Parent and Family Involvement in Education Week for MO.
- Budget descriptions have been printed and are available tonight.
- Spring Fling Committee Positions are filled – Sara Swaim and Sarah Dorrel.
- Homeroom Parent Coordinators are Michele Douglas and Maggie Krogh. A meeting with homeroom parents was held on Thursday.
- Lori will take over Spirit Night responsibilities.
- First Spirit Night will be Tuesday, September 30th from 4-9 at Texas Roadhouse.
- Google Calendar has been added to the PTA website. Thank you to Chris Langston for helping set it up. Printable PTA calendars are available on the website.
- Book Fair preparations are going on now and more information will be available at the October meeting.
- PTA will be at Open House with tables for membership, spirit wear sales, ongoing fundraising and Spartan Sprint. The Hospitality Committee will be feeding our teachers that evening.
- The SCPTA meeting on Sept. 3rd included a feedback/informational session led by Dr. Jungmann, SPS Superintendent. A survey is available from SPS that can be filled out and mailed back to SPS.
- Reflections training is September 9th at the Brentwood Library. Let Lori know if you are interested in helping with Reflections.
- SPS Emergency Preparedness Initiative – SCPTA is partnering with the elementary schools to buy $200,000 kits for every child, classroom, and teacher in SPS. Funds raised through HH will stay with our school and any additional funds will help other schools. Info can be obtained through the SPS Foundation website.
- SCPTA requested that we represent our school during our Clothing Bank dates – September 11 and October 16.
- Chick-Fil-A breakfast sandwiches do not meet the sodium standards in SPS’s new guidelines. Alan Lockhart, APD Chair, is looking into other options with hopes of planning the first breakfast.
- PTA purchased a new microwave for the cafeteria.
- Stay informed with HHPTA through Facebook and hhpta.org. Send Lori announcements to be published. Committee members should email her with requests to be on next month’s agenda.
Michele Douglas, PTA Treasurer: Michele reported that the budget descriptions on the proposed budget have been updated to have better descriptions and are now sorted in alphabetical order. Maggie Krogh made a motion to edit the wording of the budget descriptions for 2014-2015 as they have been presented. There was a second and the motion carried.
Michele reported that in July there were Scrip purchases of $1,362.39. In August, income included Spartan Sprint Sponsorship ($2,562.40); Membership – Net ($120.75); Scrip purchases – (-$441.00); Spirit Nights – ($125.39); and Spirit Wear – ($273.35). The Hospitality Expense of (-$127.50) is the difference of a business donation and what the PTA paid for a catered teacher meal. Supplies for August were $17.92. Ending balance is $18,603.45.
Caren Tate, Auditor: Annual Financial Review Approval – Caren Tate examined the budget records for the 2013-2014 school year and found them to be correct. Her report was adopted by the membership. The audit will be sent to MOPTA by December 1st.
Caren Tate, PTSA Treasurer: The HHPTSA is doing a recycling fundraiser and the elementary is encouraged to participate. HHPTSA will be collecting old cell phones, laptops and ink cartridges. The Recycling Center will match what is brought in up to $2,000. A collection bin is next to the front office.
Maggie Krogh, Vice President: PTA Membership Drive – There is a classroom challenge for the class with the highest percentage of memberships. The winning class will get a Minecraft party. Scholarships are available for memberships if needed. Spartan Sprint – Postcards are ready for distribution to market the event. Sign-up online or via paper form. Scholarships are available. There is a classroom challenge for the class with the most registrants. The winning class will get to display a trophy in their class all year.
Emily Russell, Spirit Wear: The deadline to order spirit wear is September 26th. This will be the only option to purchase spirit wear this year.
Lori Enyart, RIF Coordinator: RIF has partnered with Crowdit.com as part of their fundraising effort. RIF is looking for each family to give $10. If every family gives $10 then there should be enough funding to last 3 years. Visit crowdit.com to support this literacy program.
Sarah Langston, Online Directory: Sarah is looking into options for an online, password-protected directory this year. More information to follow.
Lisa Ebisch, Charitable Giving: Our PTA Clothing Bank volunteer day is this Thursday, September 11th from 2:30-5:00 PM at Study. Sign-up if interested. The next date will be October 15th. The Clothing Drive begins September 29th. Coats, socks, underwear and jeans are needed the most.
Teacher’s Spotlight – Mrs. Becca Demel (2nd) and Mrs. Rebekah Williams (4th): Both teachers thanked PTA for the volunteer time and services provided.
Lori Chisholm adjourned the meeting at 7:24 PM
Emily Russell PTA Secretary