Rain may be coming Tuesday evening. Be safe above all, but if you can, come and support HHPTA at Jersey Mike’s subs. We’d love to see you there. PTA officers (this year’s and next year’s) will be working the FREE ice cream sundae bar for all the kids.
(Jersey Mike’s Flyer): Jersey Mike’s Spirit Night is next Tuesday, March 24, from 4-8 pm. Jersey Mike’s is graciously offering a FREE ice cream sundae bar and cookie to each HH student that night. They will donate a percentage back based on participation of families, teachers, and community. Help spread the word. Jersey Mike’s is located at 1903 S Glenstone Avenue in SGF.
Volunteer Day at The Clothing Bank is Thursday, March 26 from 3-5 pm. Please email Lisa @ email@example.com to sign up!
Our next PTA meeting is Monday, APRIL 6, 6:30 in the HH Library. PTA has lots to cover including Spring Fling, BOGO Book Fair and Field Day.
Spirit Week is March 30-April 3.
(Spring Fling Carnival Flyer): Finally, Spring Fling is coming Friday, April 10, from 5:30-8:00. Kids can play carnival games beginning at 5:30 for FREE courtesy of PTA. We want to express our THANKS to YOU for a great year! Jet’s Pizza meals will pre-sell for $5 each (Domino’s Gluten Free for $7). There will be a silent auction on themed baskets and raffle for various prizes. Then, at 7:00, Marty the Magician will entertain us in the big gym. Pre-sell order forms for meals and raffle tickets will go home this week in folders.
- Lifetouch will be at HH on Thursday, March 19 to take spring pictures and classroom composites in the small gym. We need 4 individuals to help Lifetouch that morning after student drop off. Duties may include serving as a runner to get classes or monitoring the line and keeping the classes together. If you can help 8:00-10:00 that day, please email Lori at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie at email@example.com. PTA will contact you to confirm and send you an e-mail or text reminder beforehand.
- Jersey Mike’s Subs will host a Spirit Night for HH PTA on Tuesday, March 24, from 4:00-8:00. Jersey Mikes will have a sundae bar available to the kids that evening and they are asking for assistance with the sundae bar. Kids will come and make their sundaes with toppings and volunteers will help with the assembly line. If you can help that evening, please email Lori at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie at email@example.com. PTA will contact you to confirm and send you an e-mail or text reminder beforehand. Jersey Mike’s Subs location — 1903 S. Glenstone Avenue in Springfield.
Times to sign up @Jersey Mike’s: 4:00-5:00; 5:00-6:00; 6:00-7:00; 7:00-8:00; Other: _______________________
Hickory Hills Elementary Board and Membership Meeting–March 2, 2015
In Attendance: Attendance was not recorded due to the amount of attendees for the special “March into Spring” performance; however, a quorum was present.
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:24 PM.
The February 2015 minutes were approved as written.
Michele Douglas, Treasurer’s Report: Ending balance for February was $25,345.94. Income for February included: Letter Campaign – raised $2,375 with YTD total of $3,560. Scrip cards – sold $334.25. Ongoing Fundraiser – Target sent another check for $375.14 and we received a deposit from AmazonSmile for $34.17. Expenses for February included: Chat and Chew – $610.63 paid for the purchase of the books. Hospitality – paid for Counselor Appreciation week as well as end of the year gifts. Yearbook – received $338 in orders.
Lori Chisholm included that we are currently working with our school administration to determine how to spend funds that we have raised this year. We hope to know more in the coming weeks.
Tamara Scully, on behalf of the Nominating Committee – Election of Officers:
Tamara presented the nominated officers to be elected for the 2015-2016 year:
President – Maggie Krogh
Vice President – Lauren Sawyer
Secretary – Hillary West
Treasurer – Tia Ruth
Lori Chisholm offered the nominees’ names to the membership. There were no other nomination suggestions. Because the nominations came from a nominating committee then there does not need to be a second. All four candidates were approved to serve.
Kindergarten and First Grade classes, under the direction of music teacher, Deborah Lee, presented a special performance called “March into Spring”. Mrs. Lee thanked the PTA and parents for all they do for the school and children.
Sara Swaim/Sarah Dorrel, Spring Fling (April 10, 5:30 – 7:45 PM): Spring Fling will include food, games, Marty the Magician and a silent auction and raffle. Please pre-order tickets so we can know how may to expect.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report:
- An acquisition request from the 3rd grade teachers for $65.40 for the purchase of guided reading books was approved.
- Spring pictures and classroom composites will be taken on Thursday, March 19th. 3-4 volunteers are needed to assist Lifetouch. Let Lori know if you can help.
- Final Spirit Night is March 24th at Jersey Mike’s from 4-8 PM. Jersey Mike’s is producing a flyer to send home with more information. Volunteers are needed to help with the sundae bar that evening. Email Lori at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in helping. Please support Jersey Mike’s and HHPTA at this event.
- Spirit Wear and Scrip cards are for sale in the back. All spirit wear items are 2 for $5 tonight.
- Missouri Principal’s Day – March 5th– Mrs. Odom and Mrs. Cardwell were presented with thank you gifts from HHPTA.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report:
- Thank you to Mrs. Lee for putting together a wonderful performance by the children tonight.
- Summer School – not too late to register if interested in attending.
- Construction Update – The crane was supposed to be there to install the walls, but due to the weather it has been delayed. Walls should be up after spring break if the weather permits.
Next HHPTA meeting is April 6th at 6:30 PM in the Library. Final Winter Campaign results and the top 3 classes for the Box Top contest will be announced.
The newly elected officers will be installed into office at the May 4th PTA meeting. A former PTA President, Heather Killian, will lead the installation. Outgoing officers will be recognized and committee chairs and co-chairs will be presented thank you gifts for their service. Please attend if available.
Lori Chisholm adjourned the meeting at 6:53 PM.
Here is March’s Agenda for tonight’s meeting. We will vote on our officers for 20152016 and the Kindergarten and 1st grade classes will bring special music led by their teacher, Mrs. Debi Lee. The agenda also features calendar events for the remainder of March, and highlights our final SPIRIT WEEK of the school year. We’ll have some fun days to dress crazy for SPIRIT WEEK. Take notice of those days. Thanks.
Scrip is a simple way families can help raise money for our school without spending any more money than you usually would. Scrip means “substitute money.” For each gift card purchased, Scrip gives back a percentage to our school so we can earn cash rebates for our students and school without spending additional money. It’s time to put your shopping dollars to work.
We will have the following gift cards available for purchase at tonight’s meeting. There are limited quantities:
$25 Applebees; $10 Bath & Body Works; $25 Bath & Body Works; $10 Barnes and Noble; $10 Buffalo Wild Wings; $25 Chili’s Restaurant; $10 Chipotle Grill; $10 Domino’s; $25 Gap/Old Navy; $15 iTunes; $10 Panera Bread; $10 Papa Murphy’s; $25 Ruby Tuesday’s; $26 Red Robin Burgers; $10 Subway; $10 Starbucks; $25 TGIFriday’s; $25 Target; $20 Toys R Us; $25 Walmart (Sam’s); $25 Walgreens.
PTA has had the opportunity to bring 3 quality cultural arts assemblies this year. During first quarter, Doug Cramer of the National Weather Service presented his weather assembly to kids, and showed magnificent weather pictures that brought excitement to the kids.
Miss Jessica Hartman, Miss Missouri 2014, came 2nd quarter and brought her character education motivational speech to the kids and visited classrooms and signed autographs.
Our final assembly of the year will be held Friday, February 27, presented by Petra Ballet Company of Springfield. They will perform their dance program, You Are Special, to the kids.
PTA is proud to sponsor each year cultural assemblies of various topics of culture and education to our children.
**Don’t forget Spirit Night is TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 24, from 5-8 at Culver’s at 2520 North Glenstone. A portion of all sales from 5-8 will be given back to our school.
Here are a couple announcements to catch us up after our long weekend/snow day extravaganza!
1. Today (2/19) is Hickory Hills Volunteer Day at The PTA Clothing Bank. This day was rescheduled from last week. If any one has spare time between 3:00-5:00, just show up and Clothing Bank Staff will put you to work. The CB is located at Study Alternative Center, 2343 West Olive in Springfield.
2. Friday, February 20, is Patriotic Day at Hickory Hills Elementary. Students and teachers, please wear your red, white and blue to honor America.