Hickory Hills Elementary Board and Membership Meeting–September 8, 2014
In Attendance: Michelle Benzen, Abby Biggers, Alexis Brown, Lori Chisholm, Heather DeGood, Becca Demel, Michele Douglas, Lisa Ebisch, Lori Enyart, Gina Fetter, Brandy Hickman, Abby Kleiboeker, Maggie Krogh, Sarah Langston, Sarah Odom, Janet Price, Barb Ray, Kristin Rohrer, Emily Russell, Jody Schaad, Amanda Squires, Renee Thornton, Tia Ruth, Hillary West, Rebekah Williams
Lori Chisholm, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 6:32 PM.
The August 2014 minutes were approved as written.
Mrs. Odom, Principal’s Report: Attendance data for this year shows that Hickory Hills is 2nd in the Glendale feeder schools. There have been zero discipline incidents this school year at Hickory. MSIP 5 Performance Report Results show Hickory scored 100% in the 2014 portion of last school year. Open House will be Thursday, September 18th from 5:30-7:00 PM.
Lori Chisholm, President’s Report: This week is Parent and Family Involvement in Education Week for MO.
- Budget descriptions have been printed and are available tonight.
- Spring Fling Committee Positions are filled – Sara Swaim and Sarah Dorrel.
- Homeroom Parent Coordinators are Michele Douglas and Maggie Krogh. A meeting with homeroom parents was held on Thursday.
- Lori will take over Spirit Night responsibilities.
- First Spirit Night will be Tuesday, September 30th from 4-9 at Texas Roadhouse.
- Google Calendar has been added to the PTA website. Thank you to Chris Langston for helping set it up. Printable PTA calendars are available on the website.
- Book Fair preparations are going on now and more information will be available at the October meeting.
- PTA will be at Open House with tables for membership, spirit wear sales, ongoing fundraising and Spartan Sprint. The Hospitality Committee will be feeding our teachers that evening.
- The SCPTA meeting on Sept. 3rd included a feedback/informational session led by Dr. Jungmann, SPS Superintendent. A survey is available from SPS that can be filled out and mailed back to SPS.
- Reflections training is September 9th at the Brentwood Library. Let Lori know if you are interested in helping with Reflections.
- SPS Emergency Preparedness Initiative – SCPTA is partnering with the elementary schools to buy $200,000 kits for every child, classroom, and teacher in SPS. Funds raised through HH will stay with our school and any additional funds will help other schools. Info can be obtained through the SPS Foundation website.
- SCPTA requested that we represent our school during our Clothing Bank dates – September 11 and October 16.
- Chick-Fil-A breakfast sandwiches do not meet the sodium standards in SPS’s new guidelines. Alan Lockhart, APD Chair, is looking into other options with hopes of planning the first breakfast.
- PTA purchased a new microwave for the cafeteria.
- Stay informed with HHPTA through Facebook and hhpta.org. Send Lori announcements to be published. Committee members should email her with requests to be on next month’s agenda.
Michele Douglas, PTA Treasurer: Michele reported that the budget descriptions on the proposed budget have been updated to have better descriptions and are now sorted in alphabetical order. Maggie Krogh made a motion to edit the wording of the budget descriptions for 2014-2015 as they have been presented. There was a second and the motion carried.
Michele reported that in July there were Scrip purchases of $1,362.39. In August, income included Spartan Sprint Sponsorship ($2,562.40); Membership – Net ($120.75); Scrip purchases – (-$441.00); Spirit Nights – ($125.39); and Spirit Wear – ($273.35). The Hospitality Expense of (-$127.50) is the difference of a business donation and what the PTA paid for a catered teacher meal. Supplies for August were $17.92. Ending balance is $18,603.45.
Caren Tate, Auditor: Annual Financial Review Approval – Caren Tate examined the budget records for the 2013-2014 school year and found them to be correct. Her report was adopted by the membership. The audit will be sent to MOPTA by December 1st.
Caren Tate, PTSA Treasurer: The HHPTSA is doing a recycling fundraiser and the elementary is encouraged to participate. HHPTSA will be collecting old cell phones, laptops and ink cartridges. The Recycling Center will match what is brought in up to $2,000. A collection bin is next to the front office.
Maggie Krogh, Vice President: PTA Membership Drive – There is a classroom challenge for the class with the highest percentage of memberships. The winning class will get a Minecraft party. Scholarships are available for memberships if needed. Spartan Sprint – Postcards are ready for distribution to market the event. Sign-up online or via paper form. Scholarships are available. There is a classroom challenge for the class with the most registrants. The winning class will get to display a trophy in their class all year.
Emily Russell, Spirit Wear: The deadline to order spirit wear is September 26th. This will be the only option to purchase spirit wear this year.
Lori Enyart, RIF Coordinator: RIF has partnered with Crowdit.com as part of their fundraising effort. RIF is looking for each family to give $10. If every family gives $10 then there should be enough funding to last 3 years. Visit crowdit.com to support this literacy program.
Sarah Langston, Online Directory: Sarah is looking into options for an online, password-protected directory this year. More information to follow.
Lisa Ebisch, Charitable Giving: Our PTA Clothing Bank volunteer day is this Thursday, September 11th from 2:30-5:00 PM at Study. Sign-up if interested. The next date will be October 15th. The Clothing Drive begins September 29th. Coats, socks, underwear and jeans are needed the most.
Teacher’s Spotlight – Mrs. Becca Demel (2nd) and Mrs. Rebekah Williams (4th): Both teachers thanked PTA for the volunteer time and services provided.
Lori Chisholm adjourned the meeting at 7:24 PM
Emily Russell PTA Secretary
Next week is Glendale High School’s Homecoming Week and to celebrate our feeder school, GHS, we will conduct a SPIRIT WEEK AT Hickory Hills. Please join in the fun.
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 15: Mustache Day. Wear your favorite mustache shirt, socks, jewelry, or paint a mustache on your face.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16: Crazy Hair Day. Spike it, gel it, make it crazy.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17: 80s Day. Wear your best 80s attire.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 18: Support Glendale Day. Wear Glendale school colors for Homecoming–Columbia blue, scarlet red, and white. Go Falcons!!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 19: Pajama Day. Roll out of bed and come in your PJs. (No house shoes, please).
Thursday, September 11, is Hickory Hills Elementary and Middle School Volunteer Day at The Clothing Bank. The Clothing Bank will be open 2:30-5:00. At Monday’s meeting, we heard from Lisa Ebisch, HHPTA Charitable Giving Chair and Mrs. Demel, HH 2nd Grade teacher, who reported that The Clothing Bank has given over 500 children new socks, underwear, shoes and clothes since the beginning of the year. There are bags and bags of clothes to put out so the kids have a choice and can pick things they are happy to wear. Thank you in advance for your help.
We have been informed today that Kim Wrinkle, SCPTA VP, will be there that morning as well. If you cannot make it during opening hours and would like to come earlier in the day, please do and represent our school and HHPTA.
I like to make lists. Lists keep me on track. What’s better than making lists is crossing things off them! That gives me a sense of accomplishment. With that in mind, I’ve provided 7 things for YOU to cross off your PTA List.
Have you. . . . . .
- JOINED PTA? Classrooms are aiming to have 100% participation. The goal is to have every student obtain one membership whether it’s parent, grandparent, or a business. $5 per person/$10 business using the form off the website. Classes with 100% will attend a Minecraft Party!
- SIGNED UP FOR THE SPARTAN SPRINT? Don’t miss the fun. Register before Oct 1 to guarantee availability of t-shirts and run packets. The classroom with the most sign-ups will win a trophy for their room. www.runsignup.com/Race/MO/Springfield/SpartanSprint or fill out a form off the website.
- ORDERED SPIRIT WEAR? Deadline for orders is Sept. 26. Forms also on the website.
- LIKED US ON FACEBOOK? Very important tool we are intentionally using to keep everyone updated. Like us and share the page with others whose kids attend Hickory Hills.
- SIGNED UP WITH TARGET RED CARD PROGRAM (Take Charge of Education) and AMAZON SMILE? These are just 2 easy ways to earn funds for HH through your shopping. Check out the fundraising tab on the website to get started.
- BOOKMARKED HH related websites? There’s lots of info on the website so you might as well bookmark it http://www.hhpta.org and the school website @ http://hickoryhills.spsk12.org/pages/HickoryHillsES to find information in a snap.
- LOOKED AT THE CALENDAR? Don’t miss out on important days and events going on. Spirit Days, meetings, and all events regarding PTA are on there.
PTA has had a great start to the school year. Let’s keep it going!
We have added Google Calendar to this website under the calendars tab. The Agenda View is the most compatible look with the website. If you have Google Calendar, you can click on an event and add it to your personal calendar. Click on any event to get times and locations.
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 6:30-7:30 IN THE LIBRARY
Things on our Agenda:
- PTA Membership Challenge—TNT: Today Not Tomorrow
- It’s time to register for THE SPARTAN SPRINT. Registration forms will be available at the meeting or you can register online www.runsignup.com
- Our first ever Online Directory
- Say “Cheese!” It’s time to take PTA pictures for the Yearbook. Come and be included in the photo.
- Hear announcements and get calendar information
- Hear reports from our principals
- Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Demel and Mrs. Williams
EVERYONE IS INVITED TO BE A PART.